So tired of meds. So tired of being tired. Need to try something new. I definitely need a boost to keep me going. I think I am finally ready to drop in on the local Parkinson's support group at the Senior Center next week.
As much as I have wanted to participate in an in-person support group, I hadn't been ready to drop in on one until now. The image I have in my mind, of dependant wheelchair bound seniors with advanced stages of my disease, has stopped me from going anywhere near the place. It would be too depressing for me to have constant visual reminders of what is in store ahead for our family. I can't handle it now, when I see other patients in the waiting room at my doctor's office, who are further along in this disease. They try so hard to control their body movements so they can sit down in a chair and not be a distraction to others. It breaks my heart when I see them being led into the building by a caregiver, with their walker or wheelchair en tow, sometimes not appearing to be fully aware of their surroundings. The look on their care giver's face says it all. I feel like I've handed my family a death sentence. I cry all the way home every time I pass someone on the way out who is worse off than me.
I was hoping to find a Young Onset PD group in my area to meet with. Thinking that I would benefit more by meeting with people in my age group vs my grandmother's age group I've just dismissed going to the one in town altogether until now. I need them. I need to make a personal connection with another patient, regardless of how different I think our situations are. Its time to humble myself and go hear what my elders have to say. If I open my mind somethings bound to fall in!
To date, I haven't met another patient like me -a Young Onset FEMALE! I've seen a young onset father speak at a presentation for DBS once. But another mom, with school age children, is who I have been hoping to meet. I need a role model on how to parent with Parkinson's. I feel as though I'm failing miserably at being my children's mother. A mentor mom is what I'm on the look out for. Does one exist?
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment