Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"is everything ok???"

My response in December 2007 when a friend asked "is everything ok???"

“No thank you, but is everything ok???”

“No, not really. I have Parkinson’s Disease and it controls my life. I’m heavily medicated 24 hours a day. The medication’s side effects have taken a heavy toll on me over the last few years. I was slow to see it.

I’m now finally in line for the brain surgery my doctor’s recommended a year ago that I didn’t think I was ‘sick’ enough for. I’ve been waiting since this past summer to find a neurosurgeon to see me. Now that I’m finally ready to go ahead with the procedure I no longer have medical coverage. Figures. My meds cost over $1,200.00 a month. Our mortgage is seriously behind. Oh and we still owe Hospital over $10,000.00 from when my husband was in the hospital in August.
So I need to do as much as I can before the surgeries. I’m really behind in organizing my house. All of this ‘stuff’ I collected when I was on Mirapex a couple of years of ago. Tell your family not to have your uncle (who has PD) use this drug if he can avoid it. It creates compulsive behaviors. For me, it made me addicted to ‘finding the best deal’ whether I needed the item or not. I have boxes of un-used items I purchased during my compulsive shopping phase. I will never get around to using any of it. I don’t have the time or energy for hobbies anymore. Besides, it’s too frustrating to try to sit still and be creative.

No comments: